Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My life, a series of TV shows

Sometimes it is quite frightening how much my life is influenced by TV and movies. I don't think that I watch an extraordinary amount of TV. There are about 3 or four shows I like and sometimes when I don't feel like reading or going out I like to watch documentaries. Nature, history, science you name it. I think a huge chunk of my education comes from watching TV. I'm also a huge movie fan going to the movies about 3 to 5 times a month on average. Still, it is astonishing how my exposure to this medium shapes my perception and my emotions.

Have you ever found yourself humming the theme song of a show because the situation or the mood you find yourself in makes you feel like your life is a TV show? To me it happens all the time. When I'm waiting for the computer to load a page I'm humming the theme from Jeopardy. When I put on my toolbelt (yes, I do have one and it suits me excellently, thank you very much) it's the A-Team (I know it should be MacGyver, but fixing things is somehow indelibly linked to the scene from every episode of the A-Team when they rig up some sort of weapon/car to defeat the enemy...). And when life decides to throw up hoops I have to jump through I find myself singing along with the Friends song (you know...."when it hasn't been your week, your month or even your year, I'll be there for you"). Lately I got the Mary Tyler Moore Show theme stuck in my head. It's because I kinda feel like that intro when I'm dressed all pretty and smart, stepping of the subway with my matching purse, scarf and gloves, falling in with all the other people dressed for a day at the office, walking briskly towards my desk...





So which is the theme song to your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment