Thursday, January 6, 2011

Disney Heroes


Sarah from the Smart Bitches has a poll about which is your favorite (animated) Disney Hero. At first that was no brainer for me. Beast of course from Beauty and the Beast. Not in his human form Adam but as the Beast as which he appears throughout most of the movie. (In human form he appears slightly bland...) 
Why is he my favorite hero? That's an easy one. He actually gives Beauty room to grow and appreciates her for her intelligence and personality, not (solely) because she's a looker and has boobs. And he gives her a library. A frigging library! If that does not seal the deal, I don't know what would. (And he has hair on his chest.)
This got me thinking (it is Thursday, right?!). What about the other Disney (cartoon) heroes? Well, I gotta say, not too impressive. There are guys that are so bland, they don't even have a name (or does anyone out there know the name of the prince in Snow White?), vacant pretty boys either dark (Prince Charming) or blond (Philip from Sleeping Beauty), juvenile stereotypes (Alladin) or even blatant jacka**** (I'm looking at you Eric!). Nope, none of them does it for me. Personalitywise I gotta admit I love the non-human heroes. Give me Tramp or Robin over those bozos any day.
I can't say anything about Milo from Atlantis because I never saw the whole thing (the snippets I saw were just too painful to bear), but I do love the idea of a nerd as hero. Likewise Mulan, The Princess and the Frog and Tangled. The last three are on my ever growing list of DVDs to rent when I have time.
Anyways, when it comes to role-models I find most Disney chracters serverily lacking. Which is kinda scary. I mean, sheesh, that's the stuff I grew up with. No wonder life is so confusing...
What do you think?

On that thought: Even though it is not Monday, this just was too good to pass.



2 comments:

  1. You're right, Disney heroes are so NOT interesting. I almost never care about them, you just know from the beginning that nothing grave will happen to them, they're so good and shiny and boring. But, there are exceptions, like Mulan who I found cool (female warrior) because she took action. I agree with you on the beast issue, but Disney movies mostly live (only) out of their supporting characters. Too bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Mulan, but I think I need to, if just for the kickass heroine.
    As for the other heroines (my post so far was mostly about the male version), they are severely lacking, too. Again notable exception would be Maid Marian, but she is a fox...sigh

    ReplyDelete